Formulation Scientist – Nottingham
Sygnature Discovery is a leading independent integrated drug discovery and non-clinical services company. Private equity-backed since 2017, the company operates fully enabled research facilities in Nottingham and Alderley Park, UK, housing nearly 400 research scientists (over 80% of whom hold a PhD), and has an office presence in Cambridge, MA, and South San Francisco, CA, in the USA.
Since 2011, 34 compounds discovered by Sygnature for customers have entered pre-clinical development and, so far, 17 of these have progressed to clinical trials (Phases I, II and III). In 2017, Sygnature Discovery received the prestigious Queen’s Award for Enterprise for International Trade, and in the last year has won both the Medilink Outstanding Achievement Award and the Bionow Company of the Year Award.
About the role
Sygnature Discovery are seeking a Scientist to join our expanding team within the Formulation Development Group. In this exciting new role, you will help build the company’s laboratory capabilities with a particular focus on enabling delivery platforms to support early formulation screening for drugs that exhibit complex bioavailability challenges.
- Undertake high quality scientific experimentation to further the formulation and process development of preclinical dosage forms for novel drug candidates or product enhancement projects, which may include formulation design, process development and analytical assessment to derive appropriate data.
- Support design and development of processes for manufacture of preclinical supplies and provide technical support to colleagues in GMP manufacturing facilities, where appropriate.
- Develop and maintain a contemporary in-depth understanding of the science and technology of pharmaceutical dosage forms together with a regulatory awareness, and apply this knowledge to development of assigned drug candidates.
- With project team members, evaluate, interpret and report results.
- Ensure accurate, timely entries are made in electronic laboratory notebook system according to accepted good practice.
- Compile and prepare technical reports in relation to project work.
- Ensure compliance with appropriate documentation (SOPs, instruction manuals, risk assessments, etc.) so that all experimental / manufacturing-related activities are conducted in accordance with approved safety and quality procedures.
- Ensure safe working practices are followed and maintained, both in own and others’ work.
- Attend research events to enhance formulation knowledge and disseminate information to the rest of the formulation team
- Degree or equivalent in Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Science or Chemistry related discipline.
- Strong laboratory and analytical skills
- Familiarity with formulation and processing techniques specific to Formulation Development
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively present scientific findings to colleagues.
- Excellent problem solving, data processing and analysis skills
- Dedicated with the ability to work as part of a team
- Conscientious and meticulous in laboratory and written work
- Effective organisation and time management whilst contributing to a multi-disciplined environment
- Up to 3 years industrial experience in Formulation Development within a Contract Research environment.
- Experience in developing poorly soluble molecules using various techniques e.g. spray drying, micronisation, lyophilisation and hot melt extrusion would be beneficial
- Experience in product development (formulation) and manufacture of oral solid (immediate and modified release) and liquid dosage forms. Experience in other product types e.g. parenterals, inhaled, etc. would be beneficial.
In return you will receive an excellent training and benefits package, including a highly competitive salary which is reviewed annually, a bonus scheme, a well-regarded pension scheme, and private medical insurance. All our benefits are tailored to enhancing your experience at Sygnature as it is important to us that you share in our success.
We also recognise that the environment you work in is a priority, so we have built a collaborative and supportive culture with plenty of opportunities to grow and succeed, tailored to individual and business needs. This includes an excellent set of bespoke training and development courses to accelerate both your scientific and personal career growth.
Sygnature Discovery is a highly respected, successful and award-winning provider of fully integrated drug discovery research programmes to the global pharmaceutical industry. Founded in 2004 with a workforce of six, we now employ over 400 scientists, mainly operating from our purpose-built facilities in BioCity, Nottingham, but also at Alderley Park, Cheshire. As part of our success and continued expansion, we are looking for innovative and enthusiastic bioscience leaders to join the organisation.
If you are interested in joining a successful and engaged company that places its people at the heart of its business, please apply through the link including the following;
1) Your CV,
2) a covering letter that briefly outlines your suitability for the role and your current notice period (if applicable)
3) confirmation of your status of eligibility to work in the UK (we are able to consider sponsoring potential employees with relevant levels of qualifications and experience under a Skilled Worker visa)
Your application will be submitted through our trusted partners, LogicMelon, although only employees of Sygnature Discovery will review your application and personal data.
We will be interviewing on an ongoing basis, so please submit your application as soon as possible. We look forward to hearing from you.
If you have any questions or need further information, please contact the Careers team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not submit your application to this email address.